• All year (incl. peak):$530.00$475.00 per student
Learn advanced skills required for extended sailing in varied conditions. Earn your Skipper certification with improved sail and boat handling techniques.
Prerequisite: Skipper-Small Keelboat, ASA101, or equivalent experience required.
What’s Included: • Online knowledge courses • 2 days on the water and small group instruction • NauticEd Skipper Certification once all certification requirements are achieved • NauticEd membership, online resume and Tracklink ios app
Sailing Gift Certificate: certificate recipients can redeem for Basic Cruising course. See conditions for more details, or contact us for more info.
Learn to Cruise – sail further and faster with the 2-day Basic Cruising Course and Skipper Certification. Learn improved sail and boat handling techniques, including extended and heavy weather sailing on sailboats 25′ and larger.
After mastering the fundamentals, our Basic Cruising program introduces sailors to more advanced topics and sailing in diverse conditions. You will learn to cruise: be prepared for extended sailing, planning for new waters, adverse weather and troubleshooting. By the end of the course, students will have the skills to plan a full day or overnight cruise, and the confidence to execute it safely and enjoyably….
• Online knowledge courses • 2 days on the water and small group instruction • NauticEd Skipper Certification once all certification requirements are achieved • NauticEd membership, online resume and Tracklink ios app
2 Days Small Group Instruction
Courses are kept small for personalized instruction, and our instructors are highly experienced sailors and USCG Captains. The weekend will be spent both in the classroom (a little) and on the water (a lot), and the emphasis is on learning and practicing practical skills. By the end of the class, the instructor will verify your competency at a Skipper level, which means the instructor is confident in your abilities to sail or crew without him.
Some examples of what you’ll learn and practice:
Advanced sailing theory
Managing heel and weather helm
Sail shape and rig control
Heaving to, heavy weather techniques, and reefing underway
Handling emergencies, docking under sail, and man overboard recovery
Course plotting and steering by the compass
By the end of the course, students will have the skills to plan a full day or overnight cruise, and the confidence to execute it safely and enjoyably. And, we guarantee competency!
Certification requires you pass all the competency tests listed below. With NauticEd it’s really simple: when you sign-up, you’ll be given access to an online resume that records your online training, instructor sign-offs and experience.
Skipper certification requires Skipper knowledge training as well as Maneuvering under Power (to learn boat-handling skills), Practical competency in our 2-day on-the-water course and a minimum 4 days qualified sailing experience. Each step is recorded in your online resume, and once ALL the required steps are achieved – you’re certified. Certification requires successfully passing the following competency requirements:
√ Knowledge: Successfully Complete Online Skipper and Maneuvering Under Power classes √ Practical Competency: 2-day course √ Experience: 4 days of qualified sailing experience (prior experience counts)
The additional days of experience are required to demonstrate that you can successfully skipper on your own, utilizing what you learned online and on-the-water. The days are logged into your NaucticEd online logbook and once completed – you’re certified! For more information, see Sailing Certification.
American National Standard – Sail
Our training adheres to EDU-3 On-Water Sail Standards (American National Standard), the official standard for on-water instruction in entry-level recreational sailboat operation, and as is verified by NASBLA as conforming to an “independent third-party assessment process”.
The effort was funded by the United States Coast Guard in an effort to increase boating safety, and our courses utilize the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) approved Rubric Methodology. What does this mean? Our instructors use the ANSI ‘rubric methodology’ to objectively assess student performance in our courses. Upon successful completion, students will receive the ANS endorsement on their sailing certification, which signifies that their certification meets USCG recreational competence standards. Read more about the American National Standard and NASBLA »
Gift Certificate Conditions and Restrictions:
• Specials are Gift Certificates: the value is the amount paid and is non-refundable.
• See specific class details for more information on what’s included with each class.
• Gift certificates only apply to Island Sailing courses, and not to contracted courses and activities (e.g., do not apply to Adventure Vacations, San Juan Bareboats or Cruise & Learn, Offshore, etc…). Contact us if you have questions.
• Off-Season specials require the student to take the course between October 1st and April 1st. Students can upgrade to another course at the price difference between the certificate value and standard class rate. The exception is if Island Sailing reschedules a class due to weather or related safety concerns, in which case the student will be placed in the next available class and at no additional charge.
• Course Bundles are not restricted to off-season. A benefit of the bundles is that we emphasize practice and experience between courses.
• Two weeks notice is required to schedule a class.
• The $100 Gift Certificate is not applicable to and cannot be combined with other specials/discounts or member dues.
• What’s Included? You’ll receive a confirmation email with details and redemption instructions as well as a card you can print & sign. Separately you’ll receive a receipt from PayPal.
• How are certificates redeemed? We’ll provide instructions, and depending on the certificate coupon codes that can be redeemed online. The recipient can schedule online or contact us directly. We retain records of each certificate – so, there’s little concern if the recipient loses the information.
• What’s included in the courses? Check the course description for what’s specifically included in each course. Generally, the courses include online knowledge training with NauticEd, (b) multi-day practical training and upon successful completion of knowledge and practical (c) certification. Our courses comply with the USCG’s assessment standards, meaning that students are only practically certified if they demonstrate competency and safe boating on the water.
• When can we start the online training? The recipient can start as soon as they’d like, and we encourage getting a head start with the online training so that it’s completed before the class start. If the recipient doesn’t yet have a set course date, they can contact us and we’ll get the knowledge going. We do not register the participant for online upon purchase because, simply, we don’t want to spoil the gift! Again, they need only to contact us to get started with training.
• How does “Off-Season” scheduling work? Off-Season specials require the student to take the course between October 1st and April 1st. Students can upgrade to another course at the price difference between the certificate value and standard class rate. The exception is if Island Sailing reschedules a class due to weather or related safety concerns, in which case the student will be placed in the next available class and at no additional charge. In practice, trust that we appreciate that “life” happens and schedules don’t always work out as planned. If a conflict or an issue, just contact us and we’ll work out alternatives.
• How are payments processed? Payments are processed via PayPal when purchased online, and processed via Intuit Merchant Services if purchased over the phone. Both systems are secure.
• Do certificates expire? Nope, but we do recommend recipients use the certificate as soon as is reasonable.