Learn big boat handling in this multi-day ‘mini-charter’ course on the Puget Sound from Gig Harbor WA, and become certified as a Bareboat Charter Master.
Prerequisite: Skipper, ASA103, or equivalent experience required.
What’s Included: • Online knowledge Courses • 3 days on the water and small group instruction • Basic provisioning • NauticEd Bareboat Charter Master Certification once all certification requirements are achieved • NauticEd Membership and online resume
Sailing Gift Certificate: certificate recipients can redeem for the Bareboat Charter Master course. See conditions for more details, or contact us for more info.
Learn Bareboat – sail big boats and charter in exotic locations with the Bareboat Charter Master Certification. The Bareboat course teaches you a complete understanding of vessel systems, trip planning, and large boat handling so you can fully enjoy your charter adventure.
Skippering a large sailboat for multiple days requires a diverse range of knowledge and skills: you’re the Skipper, Navigator, Weatherman, Engineer, Cook, Plumber and all while responsible for the proper care, feeding and planning of your crew….
Gig Harbor offers an excellent Bareboat training ground – tricky tides/currents, multiple anchorages, and commercial traffic. Depending on the tides, the class may head North to Blake Island, or South to play in the Southern Puget Sound. Sail under the majestic views of Mt. Ranier, and celebrate a successful Bareboat at the local Tides Tavern.
Online Clinics: Bareboat Charter Clinic, Coastal Navigation Clinic, Anchoring a Sailboat Clinic, Electronic Navigation Clinic, Basic Navigational Rules.
3 days on the water and small group instruction
NauticEd Bareboat Charter Master Certification once all certification requirements are achieved
NauticEd Membership, online resume and Tracklink ios App
Small Group Instruction & Charter
The Bareboat Class is a mini-charter. After departing you’ll learn and practice everything you need to know to charter on your own – including big boat sailing and handling as well as systems, how to plan, prepare and cook for extended trips.
Some examples of what you’ll learn and practice:
Advanced sailing theory
Advanced vessel maneuvering under power
Anchoring, rafting and mooring techniques
Towing a Dingy
Entering new ports and marinas
Provisioning and cooking for extended cruises
Boat systems: electrical, propane, & plumbing
Diesel engine use and troubleshooting
By the end of the course, students will have the skills to Bareboat Charter sailboats over 27′ and across the world.
On-water training and certification is the primary goal of our Cruise and Learn sail. For knowledge, we offer NauticEd’s online courses to prepare you with the most advanced and current online sailing education available. Start immediately, take your time with interactive content, and test online – this allows you to enjoy more fun sailing and practical instruction on your cruise!
Bareboat Charter Master
Bareboat Charter Master Certification requires you pass all the competency tests listed below. Knowledge includes completing the online courses Bareboat Chartering Clinic, Coastal Navigation Clinic, Anchoring Clinic, and Electronic Navigation; Practical competency in our 3 day on-the-water course, and 50 days sailing experience is required. Each step is recorded in your online resume, and once ALL the required steps are achieved – you’re certified.
Our training and assessment complies with On-Water Recreational Boating Skills Standard – Sail, the American National Standard for on-water instruction in entry-level recreational sailboat operation.
Gift Certificate Conditions and Restrictions:
• Specials are Gift Certificates: the value is the amount paid and is non-refundable.
• See specific class details for more information on what’s included with each class.
• Gift certificates only apply to Island Sailing courses, and not to contracted courses and activities (e.g., do not apply to Adventure Vacations, San Juan Bareboats or Cruise & Learn, Offshore, etc…). Contact us if you have questions.
• Off-Season specials require the student to take the course between October 1st and April 1st. Students can upgrade to another course at the price difference between the certificate value and standard class rate. The exception is if Island Sailing reschedules a class due to weather or related safety concerns, in which case the student will be placed in the next available class and at no additional charge.
• Course Bundles are not restricted to off-season. A benefit of the bundles is that we emphasize practice and experience between courses.
• Two weeks notice is required to schedule a class.
• The $100 Gift Certificate is not applicable to and cannot be combined with other specials/discounts or member dues.
• What’s Included? You’ll receive a confirmation email with details and redemption instructions as well as a card you can print & sign. Separately you’ll receive a receipt from PayPal.
• How are certificates redeemed? We’ll provide instructions, and depending on the certificate coupon codes that can be redeemed online. The recipient can schedule online or contact us directly. We retain records of each certificate – so, there’s little concern if the recipient loses the information.
• What’s included in the courses? Check the course description for what’s specifically included in each course. Generally, the courses include online knowledge training with NauticEd, (b) multi-day practical training and upon successful completion of knowledge and practical (c) certification. Our courses comply with the USCG’s assessment standards, meaning that students are only practically certified if they demonstrate competency and safe boating on the water.
• When can we start the online training? The recipient can start as soon as they’d like, and we encourage getting a head start with the online training so that it’s completed before the class start. If the recipient doesn’t yet have a set course date, they can contact us and we’ll get the knowledge going. We do not register the participant for online upon purchase because, simply, we don’t want to spoil the gift! Again, they need only to contact us to get started with training.
• How does “Off-Season” scheduling work? Off-Season specials require the student to take the course between October 1st and April 1st. Students can upgrade to another course at the price difference between the certificate value and standard class rate. The exception is if Island Sailing reschedules a class due to weather or related safety concerns, in which case the student will be placed in the next available class and at no additional charge. In practice, trust that we appreciate that “life” happens and schedules don’t always work out as planned. If a conflict or an issue, just contact us and we’ll work out alternatives.
• How are payments processed? Payments are processed via PayPal when purchased online, and processed via Intuit Merchant Services if purchased over the phone. Both systems are secure.
• Do certificates expire? Nope, but we do recommend recipients use the certificate as soon as is reasonable.
Questions? Contact us
Please submit the below form or contact Stephen directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 285-7765 with questions!